I got the recipe for the bun from my sourdough teacher, Shaumiati Evma. The original recipe uses full white flour. As I try to reduce consuming too much white flour, I mixed the recipe 50:50 between white flour and whole wheat flour. I also used honey instead of granulated sugar. Just try to be more healthier 😅
- 80 gr sourdough starter
- 80 gr cold milk
- 120 gr white bread flour (you can use all 240 gr if you do not want to use whole wheat flour)
- 120 gr whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg (55 gr)
- 4 gr of salt
- 30 gr honey
- 25 gr unsalted butter
- 5 gr cheese cube
- Cheese for topping
- Prepare the sourdough starter one night before. Make sure the starter is active and bubly (pass the floating test)
- In a bowl, mix sourdough starter with milk, egg, flour, sugar and salt together until incorporated.
- Add butter, mix well, rest for 30 minutes.
- Do stretch and fold and repeat every 30 minutes. Do until the dough is quite smooth. I did 6-7 times.
- Let the dough rest in the fridge for at least 3 hours. I usually left it overnight.
- Take out the dough from the fridge and do preshaping. Let it rest for 20 minutes.
- If the dough is rising well, you will get about 500 gr dough. Cut the dough into 12 pieces.
- Take one dough, flatten a bit, put a cheese cube in the middle.
- Stretch every corner and fold it over the butter. Do final shaping to make a circle shape. Do the same to the rest of the dough.
- Let it rise until doubled. Mine took 8-9 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celcius.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Slough-England, 30 July 2020/9 Dzulhijjah 1441 H