I got the recipe of the bun from my sourdough teacher, Shaumiati Evma. The recipe of coffee cream was from youtube channel itsourdough with small modification: https://youtu.be/mAXONeiySgw
The original recipe for the bun uses full white flour. As I try to reduce consuming too much white flour, I mixed the recipe 50:50 between white flour and whole wheat flour. I also used honey instead of granulated sugar. Just try to be more healthier 😅
- 80 gr sourdough starter
- 80 gr cold milk
- 120 gr white bread flour (you can use all 240 gr if you do not want to use whole wheat flour)
- 120 gr whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg (55 gr)
- 4 gr of salt
- 30 gr honey
- 25 gr unsalted butter
Coffee Mixture Ingredients:
- 60 gr softened butter
- 60 gr granulated sugar (I used icing sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tsp instant coffee
- 2 tsp water
- 70 gr plain flour
- 9-10 pcs of 5 gr cube butter
- Prepare the sourdough starter one night before. Make sure the starter is active and bubly (pass the floating test)
- In a bowl, mix sourdough starter with milk, egg, flour, sugar and salt together until incorporated.
- Add butter, mix well, rest for 30 minutes.
- Do stretch and fold and repeat every 30 minutes. Do until the dough is quite smooth. I did 6-7 times.
- Let the dough rest in the fridge for at least 3 hours. I usually left it overnight.
- Take out the dough from the fridge and do preshaping. Let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 60 gr piece.
- Take one dough, flatten a bit, put a cube butter in the middle.
- Stretch every corner and fold it over the butter. Final shaping to make a circle shape. Do the same to the rest of the dough.
- Let it rise until doubled. Mine took 6-7 hours.
- Prepare the coffee cream.
- Mix butter and sugar until incorporated.
- Add an egg, mix well.
- Mix coffee and water. Add it into the mixture..
- Pour ini flour and mix well.
- The cream is ready. Transfer it into a piping bag. Let it rest in a fridge until it is ready to be used.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celcius.
- Get the coffee cream and pump out the cream in circles around the bun.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes.
Slough-England, 30 July 2020/9 Dzulhijjah 1441 H